For the first time this season, reigning champions Gor Mahia dropped points as they were held to a barren draw by Tusker FC in a Kenyan Premier League (KPL) Round 3 catch up match played at the Kenyatta Stadim in Machakos.

The defending champions created a number of good chances throughout the match, but they fell short in terms of accuracy, with Ivoirian Ephrem Guikan squandering several good chances. Coach Dylan Kerr had made eight changes to the squad that did duty against Kariobangi Sharks last weekend, preferring to start with Meddie Kagere on the bench and re-introducing Humphrey Mieno and Cersidy Lumumba in the starting lineup.

His opposite number Sam Timbe on the other hand elected to stick to his regular squad that had Duncan Ochieng starting between the posts as Timothy Otieno led the attack.

Missed chances

Jackson Macharia, who replaced Amos Asembeka in the second half, came with Tusker’s best chance in the 84th minute when he directed a header home, but Gor defender Charles Momanyi stood alert behind the outdrawn Boniface Oluoch to head the ball out of danger.

Guikan missed several chances for Gor, the most baffling coming in the 77th minute when he combined well with Meddie Kagere. His resultant shot was however punched away by Duncan Ochieng and his follow-up shot crashed against the cross bar and bounced off target.

With the draw, Gor Mahia has dislodged Mathare United at the top of the log due to a superior goal difference while Tusker is ninth with five points from nine matches.

Next matches

Gor Mahia will face Bandari in Machakos in their next fixture on Saturday while Tusker will play guests to Ulinzi Stars at Afraha this coming Sunday.

Sofapaka 2-1 AFC Leopards

In another match played on the same day at the Narok Stadium, Sofapaka beat AFC Leopards 2-1 to move seventh on the log while AFC dropped to thirteenth.

Umaru Kasumba opened the scoring in the 2nd minute but Ezekiel Odera equalized for Ingwe in the 26th minute. Kevin Kimani scored the winner in the 62nd minute.