Chemelil Sugar FC, Bandari FC and Gor Mahia registered win over Nakumatt FC, Sony Sugar FC and Nzoia Sugar FC in Round 6 matches played across different venues on Sunday 11th March.

Nakumatt FC 1-4 Chemelil Sugar FC

Chemelil Sugar FC were the biggest winners of the day, thrashing struggling Nakumatt FC 4-1 in a one-sided match played at the Kenyatta Stadium in Machakos.

Philip Muchuma grabbed a hat-trick to take his tally to 4 so far this season while veteran Noah Abich scored an own goal to crown a bad afternoon for Nakumatt, their only goal of the match coming from Brian Nyakan.

Chemelil moves to second on the log with eleven points having played six matches.

Bandari FC 3-0 Sony Sugar FC

Ugandan International William Wadri scored a brace as David Kingatua grabbed one to hand Bandari a crucial win in another entertaining match played at the Mbaraki in Mombasa.

Following the win, Bandari moves to third on the table with 11 points from six matches.

Gor Mahia 1-0 Nzoia Sugar FC

Reigning Kenyan Premier League (KPL) champions Gor Mahia edged out Nzoia Sugar FC by a solitary goal in a match played at the rain-soaked Kenyatta Stadium in Machakos.

Kevin Ade Omondi scored the winner in the 42nd minute, driving in a low shot past Nzoia custodian Benson Mangala.

Ephrem Guikan could have opened the scoring for Gor as early as in the 8th minute but his hard shot off a Wesley Onguso throw ricocheted off the cross bar with Mangala well beaten. Nzoia’s Elvis Rupia was a constant threat to the Nzoia backline and he could have got his first of the match in the 20th minute but Shaban Odhoji did well to deny him from close range.

Guikan’s low shot at the hour’s mark was cleared off the line by Nzoia captain Vincent Ngesa and he was soon replaced by youngster Lukuwam Eliud. George Odhiambo replaced goal scorer Kevin Ade Omond in the 74th minute as Nzoia brought in Patrick Otieno to replace David Odhiambo.

Penalty drama

Lukuwam’s impact was soon felt as he dribbled into the box and was brought down by Ngesa, Gor Mahia getting a penalty. Wesley Onguso stepped up to take it and sent Mangala the wrong way but the referee disallowed it, ordering a retake as a Nzoia player had encroached into the box just before Onguso took it. Ngesa parried away Onguso’s retake.

Coach comments

“This was a tough match and I feel the players did well today. We will work on our finishing as I believe that has been our major undoing so far this season as well as keeping the ball, we tend to lose it so easily.” – Vincent Sifuma, Nzoia Sugar FC Assistant Coach

“I am happy with the three points but not with the way we played. I was contemplating substituting Kevin Omondi just before he scored as I felt he wasn’t performing to the level I expected him to, and it’s not just him but the entire team. However, it was a totally new team today and they were playing together for the first time so I am just happy we picked the three points.” – Dylan Kerr, Gor Mahia Head Coach