Nine matches were played over the weekend as the league entered Round 11. Gor Mahia, back from South Africa on continental mission, continued with their fine form with a win over Thika United at the Kenyatta Stadium in Machakos on Sunday 22nd April. The victory takes them back to the top of the log with 25 points.

Saturday 21 April 

Bandari 1-0 AFC Leopards

Boniface Akenga scored with few minutes to stoppage time to ensure Bandari grabs an important victory over AFC Leopards in a match played at the Mbaraki Stadium.

Both teams struggled to string passes as the pitch surface was not in good condition after the rains but the home team looked more comfortable. AFC will have themselves to blame however as they lost several good goal-scoring chances especially in the second half. Outgoing Manager Dennis Kitambi admitted after the match that his lads did not play well.

Zoo FC 3-1 Tusker FC

Zoo FC recorded their second win of the season, beating Tusker FC 3-1 at the Green Stadium in Kericho. The home side opened the scoring in the 37th minute, Mike Madoya getting his first of the day after a good pass from Dennis Chetambe. Nicholas Kipkirui scored the second just minutes later with Madoya the provider this time.

Kipkirui scored his second of the day ten minutes after the breather to make matters 3-0. Tusker managed a consolation goal in the 80th minute through Mathew Tayo Odongo. Sam Timbe blamed the playing unit for the loss urging them to improve in the next match

“We played poorly and not according to the plan. There was no fighting spirit and enthusiasm and I am not happy at all. We have to improve in the next match.” – Sam Timbe, Tusker FC Head Coach

Wazito 1-0 Mathare United 

Pistone Mutamba scored a beautiful freekick minutes to the final whistle as Wazito edged out Mathare United by a solitary goal in an entertaining match at the Camp Toyoyo in Jericho, Nairobi.

Kariobangi Sharks 1-2 Kakamega Homeboyz

Visiting Kakamega Homeboyz beat Kariobangi Sharks 2-1 in a late kick off match played at the Camp Toyoyo Ground.

Both sides struggle to settle into the match but after the half hour mark Homeboyz upped their tempo and constantly knocked on Sharks goalpost. Their efforts paid off in the 34th minute as Noah Wafula headed in a throw in to give the lead going into the break.

Paul Kamau equalized for Sharks in the 53rd minute, making a deep run from the half and unleashing a hard shot that beat Homeboyz custodian McArthur Arakaza. Sharks were clearly on the ascendancy after the breather and even upped their tempo more after their equalizing goal. Homeboyz introduced former Muhoroni Youth striker Hassan Kikoyo for Keiphas Mutuu and this changed probed vital as Kikoyo scored the winner in the 78th minute to hand the visitors three crucial points.

Sunday 22nd April 

Nakumatt 2-3 Ulinzi Stars 

Oscar Wamalwa came off the bench to grab a brace as Ulinzi Stars came from a goal down to beat Nakumatt FC 3-2 in an entertaining match played at the Kenyatta Stadium in Machakos.

Brian Nyakan gave Nakumatt the lead in the eight minute after the Ulinzi backline took time to clear the ball in a dangerous position. Elvis Nandwa leveled matters in the 35th minute, pushing in a low shot past Lucas Indeche after  good move initiated by Brian Birgen.

After the break, Ulinzi Stars continued to pile on the pressure and were rewarded in the 66th minute when they won a penalty. The enterprising Cliff Kasuti was hacked down in the box by Donald Mosoti and Wamalwa, who had come in for the injured Masita Masuta earlier on in the second half, stepped up to make matters 2-1.

Mosoti got one of his own in the 84th minute from the spot after a handball in the box and Ulinzi got redemption in almost similar fashion as a cross delivered by Oliver Ruto was handled in the box. Wamalwa stepped up to hand Ulinzi Stars the win.

Sony Sugar 0-0 Posta Rangers 

Sony Sugar FC and Posta Rangers played to a scoreless draw in another match played at the Green Stadium in Awendo.

Vihiga United 3-1 Nzoia Sugar FC 

Vihiga United beat Nzoia Sugar FC 3-1 in an a match played at the Mumias Sports Complex. Vihiga goals came courtesy of Jonathan Mugambi, Michael Isabwa and Christopher Masinza in the 6th, 52nd and 84th minute while Nzoia’s lone goal was scored by Elvis Rupia from the spot in the 56th minute after he was brought down in the box by Zablon Khaemba.

Gor Mahia 5-2 Thika United 

Gor Mahia came from behind twice to beat Thika United 5-2 in a match played at the Kenyatta Stadium in Machakos.

Thika got the lead in the fifth minute through Eugene Mukangula who caught the Gor backline napping and shot past custodian Shaban Odhoji. Ephrem Guikan leveled matters just before the break with a beautiful volley.

Clement Masakidi Mata restored Thika’s lead several minutes after the break but it did not last long as Allan Owiny turned Jacques Tuyisenge’s shot into his own net. Samuel Onyango then came off the bench to give Gor the lead in the 74th minute. Meddie Kagere then made it 4-2 minutes later after a good pass by the on form Francis Kahata who then wrapped up the game with arguably a contender for the goal of the season.

The win takes Gor Mahia to the summit of the KPL standings with 25 points from 9 matches. They have three games in hand.