The Independent Disciplinary and Complaints Committee (IDCC) has fined Gor Mahia a sum total of Ksh 606,000 after the club was found guilty of acts of hooliganism that led to the game being stopped for fifteen minutes, damage to the stadium perimeter fence and damages to vehicles during the team’s SportPesa Premier League match against KCB FC on Sunday 27th January.
Gor Mahia Football Club was charged before the IDCC Tribunal with the offence of failing to control their members, supports and/ or fans during the Kenyan Premier League Match number 084 between KCB FC and Gor Mahia FC which was played at the Kenyatta Stadium in Machakos by failing to control their members/supporters and/or fans by allowing them to throw stones on the field of play, an action that caused the match to be stopped for 15 minutes and at the same time caused damage to two Machakos County Government ambulances. The specific charge states as follows;
THAT, on Sunday, January 27th 2019 during the 2018-19 SportPesa Premier League match number 084 between KCB FC and Gor Mahia FC, which was played at the Kenyatta Stadium, Machakos; at the 89th minute of the match, member/supporters of Gor Mahia FC allegedly threw stones to the playing field, an action which caused play to be stopped for 15 minutes, and thereby caused damage to two Machakos County Government ambulances ( vehicles registration numbers KBY 258G and KBY 264G), KCB FC Bus (vehicle registration number KCN 250N), and the Stadium’s inner Perimeter gate, which conduct is contrary to Rule 3.4(a) of the Rules Governing Kenyan Football, and also punishable under Art. 67,par. 2 & 3 of the FIFA Disciplinary Code.
According to the provisions of Rule 3.4(a) of the Rules Governing Kenyan football under which the charges against Gor Mahia FC were drawn and brought before the Committee, it is the responsibility of the club to ensure that members/supporters and/or fans conduct themselves in a fair manner and refrain from violent, threatening, abusive, obscene and other provocative and unsporting conduct or language at the Match. The Rule provides as follows;
“Members and supporters: Clubs are responsible for the conduct of their members and supporters and must ensure they behave in a fair manner and refrain from violent, threatening, abusive, obscene and other provocative and unsporting conduct or language at a match”
Considering the cited provisions of the Rules Governing Kenyan Football, the Tribunal finds that Gor Mahia Football Club breached the provisions of Rule 3.4(a) and accordingly, they deserve to be punished as provided under Article 67 paragraphs 3 and 4 of the FIFA Disciplinary Code.
The Tribunal finds and holds as follows:
- That Gor Mahia Football Club having been found guilty for breaching Rules 3.4 (a) of the Rules of Kenyan Football on Sunday 27th January 2019 during the SportPesa Premier League 2018-19 Season Match Number 084 between KCB FC and Gor Mahia FC which was played at Kenyatta Stadium, Machakos, are hereby fined Kenya Shillings Three Hundred Thousand (Kshs. 300,000/=)
- That above amount should be paid to Kenya Premier League within Sixty (60) days from the date of this ruling. In the event of default, the said amount shall be recovered by KPL from the Club’s share of the Premier League Sponsorship by SportPesa for the 2018-19 Club’s entitlement.
- That besides paying the above fine to Kenyan Premier League, Gor Mahia Football Club is equally ordered to compensate the County Government of Machakos and KCB FC as follows
- Pay the County Government of Machakos a sum of Ksh 56,000/= for the damage caused on two ambulances Registration Number KNY 258G and KBY 264G.
- Pay the County Government of Machakos a sum of Ksh 50,000/= for the damage caused on the inner perimeter gate of the Kenyatta Stadium.
- Compensate KCB FC a sum of Ksh 200,000/= for the damage caused on KCB FC bus Registration number KCN 250N and loss of user of the said bus for the period it was under repair.
- That the Payments for both County Government of Machakos and KCB FC to be made within Sixty (60) days from the date of this Judgement.
- That in the event of default, the said amount shall be recovered by KPL from the Club’s share of the Premier League Sponsorship by SportPesa for the 2018-19 Club’s entitlement and paid directly to both the County Government of Machakos and KCB FC.
- That the Club is hereby warned that severe punishment will be meted out on it if its fans, Members and/or supporters will be found guilty of similar charge in future matches and to be precise, the Tribunal will henceforth consider docking Six (6) League points if similar acts of hooliganism is repeated by member/supporters and/or fans of Gor Mahia Football Club.